Saturday, October 15, 2005

October 15, 2005

Yesterday we went exploring the city around our apartment. We were trying to find the grocery store we had gone to with our translator. We did find it but it was a long ways from our apartment. We went down every isle looking for something familiar. To our delight we found frozen pizza! They even have just cheese and mushroom. We also found noodles and tomato juice to make vegetarian goulosh. Jeff refuses to eat this at home, but happily ate it last night. Juice is big here. It isn't watered down like at home. It is 100 percent fruit juice. It is sold in boxes similar to juice boxes at home but much larger. So far we have tried peach, cherry, raspberry, grape, and grapefruit. I taste just like sticking a straw into the fruit. Strawberry is next on my list.

Tonight we are meeting 10 other American couples for supper at 6. We are going to a Russian Restaurant. I may even try broscht (sp?). Last Saturday, our friend Patti had some and it didn't look to bad.

It seems each new thing we do is a small adventure in itself. I wanted to soak in a hot bath. It took us 5 minutes to figure out the plug. We wanted to cook the pizza, 5 minutes to get the oven lit. The phone in the apartment has taken us 5 days to figure out, we had to ask Oleana how to do it. We could figure out how to call the states but not how to call within the city. I have been reading the Anne of Green Gables series (I brought the first 3), Anne says when you move somewhere new you feel like a lost soul. Each new experience grows a little root on your soul until you feel securely rooted once again.

The weather here has been fair. It has been about 55 and cloudy.

I just read that the Oak Ridge Boys are coming to the Orpheum on December 2(I think). I hope I am home in time.

We still haven't heard about a second appointment, hopefully we will hear something on Monday. Keep praying for us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment